Monday, August 5, 2013

Thursday August 1, 2013   ACA meeting (Adult Children of Alcoholic and Otherwise Dysfunctional Families.)

Part of what was discussed:  "Adult children guess at what normal is."

Which brought to the surface something I'd been coming to realize for a while.  In one sense of "normal," there's no way I could manage it.  I deviate too much from the norm.  In good ways (above average intelligence, ability to come up with ideas.)  In bad ways (ADD/ADHD, minor degree of cerebral palsy.)  And in one which I consider neutral (synesthesia of various kinds.)

And I'm a few years older than the Baby Boomers.  Which means that what was normal when I was growing up is way out of date.

Another ACA member has a saying; "I don't want to be normal.  I want to be healthy."

I think I'm getting there.

***Read Volume 3 of The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny.  Among information in this volume:  After Zelazny quit his job to write full time, his production didn't go up.  He wrote no more than he had when he also worked full time at the day job.

***Apologies to anyone in whom the following arouses unwanted lustful thoughts.

From Ansible 313, THOG'S MASTERCLASS:
_True Romance Dept._ 'But then the tips of her breasts became erect on their own, and the flood in her loins washed morals, despair, and all other abstract assessments away in a cloud of some sort of divine cologne of his. Now his big generative jockey was inside her pelvic saddle, riding, riding, riding, and she was eagerly swallowing it swallowing it swallowing it with the saddle's own lips and maw -- all this without a word.' (Tom Wolfe, _Back to Blood_, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment