Thursday, February 27, 2014

Tuesday February 25, 2014 The University of Minnesota Law School has a hockey team called the Fighting Mondales.  And a chess club called the Fighting Pawndales.

***Comments of Comment:

Lee Gold 2/24/14: "Thursday February 20, 2014  My birthday.  I don't feel 71 years old."

Congratulations anyway.
Now close your eyes and imagine:  "How old does 71 years feel?"

I remember sometime in the mid-1950s some public service announcement trying to get people to re-imagine age.  "What does a grandmother look like?" the nice man's voice asked, and showed a white-haired lady in a wheelchair, knitting.

Then it showed a busy woman, shopping.  "This is a grandmother," the nice man's voice said, and showed clips of her busy life, ending up with her going to a party with adult children and teenaged grandchildren -- and her mother, who was the white-haired lady in a wheelchair.

When people have told me now and then, "You don't look [fill in the age]," I tell them, "This is exactly how I look at that age."  (I turned 71 on October 7th, 2013.)

Reply:  My head hair is black.  My maternal grandfather's hair stayed black till the end of his life.  But I first grew a beard at 26 or so; and it had some gray in it.

***From Facebook:

Tweets of Old
Girls, you had better hustle to keep pace with one 15-year old Maine maiden who drives oxen, studies Latin, and runs a saw-mill. VA1910

***From Twitter:

Susan Cosmos ‏@SusanCosmos "The only thing we know about the future is that it is going to be different." - Peter Drucker #quote

No comments:

Post a Comment