Thursday, March 6, 2014

Tuesday March 4, 2014  Mardi Gras.  For those giving up marijuana for Lent, Mardi Grass?

Comments of Comment:

Lee Gold 3/3/14:  My parents got married in 1938, during the Depression.
My mother was 24; my father was 30.
I was born about four years later, after they'd built themselves a house.

[My parents married during WW II, and I was born not long after.  I remember an elementary school teacher exclaiming we were the largest class she'd ever taught.  I wonder how she reacted when the Boomers came along a few years later.]

My mother died at 85 after a lot of problems caused by the radiation that had cured of her cancer some twenty years earlier.  (The cancer was probably caused by a doctor giving her estrogen to help her with hot flashes.)

My mother's mother was supposedly born in 1890 (but my mother said she lied about her age to make it seem she was younger than her husband, born in 1887, when she was actually a year older), so she had her first child in 1913 when she was nominally 23 but really 27.  (She was born in Russia on the first night of Chanukkah and didn't know the secular date.)  My grandmother died at about 90.
The first night of Chanukah in 1890 was December 6th.
The first night of Chanukah in 1886 was December 21st.

[My paternal grandfather knew the year in the secular calendar, and the month and date in the Jewish calendar.  Some decades later, someone in the family figured out when he was born.]

No comments:

Post a Comment